16 May 2006

cl

possible vs. probable - 24 (DC)


Reply to: your anonymous craigslist address will appear here
Date: 2006-05-16, 3:55PM EDT


Is it possible to take a list of characteristics or attributes (real or imagined) and spin them into a neat little paragraph that doesn't read as though you, the author, are terribly insecure, a raging egomaniac, or just plain old dumb? And then, supposing that you do come up with this sparkling but modest gem of shameful self-promotion, will it really move the reader, sitting at his desk in the middle of the day, to action? Could he really turn out to be a good thinker, kind-hearted, with a warm smile? It's possible, I guess, but is it probable? Now, that is the better, more pertinent question.

You tell me.

4 comments:

jacob said...

havent you ever seen "You've Got Mail" with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan?

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thinks that the appropriate answer to Charles's question is, "of course not?"

Anonymous said...

I met my g/f by craigslist...

- Dudek

Jessie said...

Seeing as I am said g/f, I have to annotate Dudek's comment: It was, after all, a Missed Connection, the ostensibly more secure and pointed version of a personals ad, a last grasp for romance before you stoop (or were you just tying your shoelace?) to writing personals. Doesn't there seem to be such a crucial difference? Rather than broadcasting, "Someone! Anyone!" you send out a purposeful, "Oh, see, I'm just here looking for someone I lost. No, really - I didn't mean to find my way to the personals - it really should be it's own section, if you ask me - I don't belong here with the rest of you loners!"

Anyway, Craig wants success stories. Any ideas on how to pen ours?