05 April 2007

It's Friday I'm in Love

I've spurned Silence and his awkward embraces and returned to my first and true love - Language. And now that I've groveled and begged for his forgiveness, my lover is showering me with gorgeous wordy gifts -- displaying the roomy generosity of his heart and reminding me that I should never try to survive in the world without him.

Look! there are so many ways to suggest how we move from here to there.

This is how I get through the week:
Monday I stumble
Tuesday I shuffle
Wednesday I stomp
Thursday I stalk
Friday I strut
Saturday I skip
Sunday I saunter

And those are just the S words. What about prance and wander? Tramp, tiptoe and trudge? Perambulate?

Language baby, you've got it in spades over Silence! He'll never match you in subtlety, nuance, and sophistication.

My cup runneth over.

Parenthetically: this morning, driving back to the city from CC and listening to Kings of Convenience and thinking of my favorite Norwegian from Mostrehamn-in-the fjords, I was blown away anew by people who can write delicate, subtle lines in languages beyond their mother-tongue. In college, I wrote a clever little ditty in Japanese about his eyes being stars and wanting his stars (which, you see, is a play on the fact that the words for star and want are almost the same. And this fact, as you might guess, turns me a little starry-eyed). I was more than a mite pleased with myself until I realized that the only person within miles who could fully grasp the brilliance of this was my favorite Norwegian who was doing the assigned reading instead of drawing love poems in the margins of the chemistry textbook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

words and the spaces between them--complete