03 April 2007

greener grass, under the snow

It is a day in a day -- a cummings sort of day the sends my dad straight to quoting i thank you god for most this amazing day and my mom into the garden. The kind of day that drives everyone up from their desks and out the door, sporting equipment in hand. If you're not careful, this day will add a bounce to your step as it turns the young man's fancy to love. There are robins on every branch of every tree.

I am looking out the window, though, wishing for a meadow covered in snow with a dark brown dog ambling down the rickety line of the old wood fence. You know, the fence along the far edge of the meadow where the trees grow and then thicken to a forest. And if that is not enough to wish for (o greedy heart!) I want a quilt made of green and orange patches around my shoulders and a grey grey sky. Finally, I'd like a small cardinal to land on the window sill just as Will Oldham walks in the room and hands me a mug of red rose tea with splash of milk and then starts to sing One with the Birds.

No comments: