14 February 2010

scientific love notes

I dug out my freshman chemistry
book this morning to look up the
answer to a question my pharm
acology text couldn't handle. It
was chock full of Valentines.

Non Polar Covalent Bonds? Hmm?
Most romantic force in the Universe?
Scientific love notes filling the margins
(my 19 year old hand writing, less angled)
and wreathed in pink hearts.
Give me your love and I
will give you a mole of stars.

Melodramatic, mooning, spacy.
I wore my heart on my sleeve
and tripped over my own feet
with all that gazing at those stars.
Tougher, now, I'm happy to say;

less likely to get lost in the sky
and better able -- or is it willing?
to focus on the actual meaning
of the words on the page.

Still. I'll take a telescope over
a diamond any day. I don't ask
for much. Just give me the rings
of Saturn and I'll promise to be yours
until nuclear fission does us part.

No comments: