26 July 2010

inception

I paid such careful attention all day. To the doctors' orders and the lab results and the endless, endless ringing of monitors. I paid attention because I was scared to death - scared that I might hurt someone, scared that I might kill someone, scared that I might look stupid in front of any of the 50 people within earshot. And because I wanted to tell you in the brightest detail of the 98 year old woman who drove herself to the hospital, the homeless man who used the world punctilious and said Why! I do believe your eyes are the color of adamite. About all the blood, the small kindnesses & relentless chaos. But like a dream, I can not remember the beginning or the end, how I got from 06:45 to 19:45 in one piece, my patients only a little worse for wear. And if I do not go to sleep right this minute, I don't know how I'll wake up in time to go back to that place where crazy is perfectly normal.

1 comment:

Sabba and Nanny said...

Punctilious is an old friend, but you and the homeless man just introduced me to adamite. Thanks.