01 June 2010

White Rabbit

The summer I was 21, I lived in a guest cottage adjacent to a large house on the side of a hill overlooking the bay. An acquaintance of an acquaintance asked me to stay there with her old, ailing mother for the summer while she went on a three month trip to collect research for her dissertation on tree frogs. This woman knew nothing about me, but handed me the keys to the house, her car, and the instruction manual for the elevator and the pool in the basement. The old woman was both crotchety and funny and, after spending the spring semester of my junior year at home, I was happy for a little space of my own. In the mornings, the old woman and I would take the elevator down to the basement and I would help her climb into the pool and swim against the perpetual current for 30 minutes before sliding down the hill to sit on the beach and write bad poetry or desperate love letters, depending on the day. At night, we'd sit on the porch and the old woman would tell me stories about her childhood and meeting her husband over dinners of fresh tomato salad, cold boiled parsnips, and red wine. After dinner, I'd helped the old lady into the elevator, up to her bedroom, out of her polyester pant suits, and into bed. That was the summer of LSAT and Hail to the Thief, and after the old lady was in bed, I'd sit on the screened in porch and listen to Radiohead, imagining my future as an attorney while summer lightning split the bay in two and rain hammered the tin roof.

One day I came home from work and found the old lady stuck in the elevator. I could hear her talking and she said she'd only been there a few minutes so I called the repair service and after a kind young man came and pried open the doors, we went on with our evening routine. I knew something like this was going to happen she said. I forgot to say White Rabbit this morning! Jefferson Airplane? Alice in Wonderland? She was too old for both so I had to ask what she meant. On the first day of every month, you must say WHITE RABBIT before you say anything else when you wake up. If you do, your wishes for the month will come true but if you forget, everything will go wrong. I forgot to say it today. It's the first time I've forgotten in years.

The rest of the summer passed uneventfully. On the day I took the LSAT, the old lady told me to make us martinis to celebrate the beginning of my future career. After I helped her into bed, I made myself another, went to the porch, and read T.S. Eliot while lightning bugs pricked the inky sky. At the end of August, I said goodbye to the old lady, promised to write, went to see Radiohead play, and then drove up to Boston the next day to finish my last year of school. I moved into my apartment, met a left-handed boy who could talk about science and art, and forgot all about the old lady until the following summer when her daughter emailed me to say she'd died. I meant to send a card, but I don't think I even replied to the email. I was very young. I thought that my whole life was in front of me. Whatever that means. Or I thought it meant.

It's been years since I thought of the old lady, but this morning I sat bolt up-right in bed and said White Rabbit. I don't know why I said it - or what I wish for this month beyond passing the NCLEX- but I spent today marveling at all the funny, strange ways that life unfolds - whether we say those words on the first of the month or not. I spent that summer focused on getting into law school and caring for a frail, old woman on the side. This summer I'm focused on learning to care for people while my time at the law firm grows stranger and more unimaginable by the day.

2 comments:

jacob said...

this is good for my heart.

Unknown said...

Kate - I LOVE the way you write. I check your blog for new stuff way more often than you put something new up. By the way WHITE RABBIT is a caramel candy in my childhood...
Maddy